Did you know that over a million marine animals die due to plastic debris in the oceans? About 8 million tons of plastic enters our oceans every year, disabling aquatic life and having a detrimental effect on the environment.
Despite there being so much awareness regarding the adverse effects of plastics, the use of single-use plastic is still increasing. World Refill Day is an annual event that focuses on reducing the use of plastic and the pollution caused by it.
World Refill Day: An Overview
World Refill Day is a global initiative by various organizations working towards reducing plastic use and promoting environmental sustainability. During World Refill Day, awareness campaigns are held to educate people about the adverse effects of single-use plastic and how it is gradually destroying the planet.
The campaigns also promote the use of biodegradable alternatives that don’t hurt the environment. And if plastic use is not available, people should avoid single-use plastic and shift to refills and multi-use plastics.
The Importance of a Refill Revolution
We are addicted to single-use plastic, with the pandemic making it only worse. Governments and businesses worldwide have opted out of their commitments to ban single-use plastics. This is because single-use plastics are cheap and easy to manufacture.
As a result, our throwaway culture is only getting bigger, polluting the planet even more. Oceans, rivers, forests, and other natural habitats are overflowing with plastic, harming marine and terrestrial animals.
One of the major contributors to plastic pollution is quick-service restaurants. They generally use single-use plastic for take-away food, and people simply throw the packaging away. In fact, food packaging is, unfortunately, one of the major pollutants found on beaches across the world.
How Can You Get Involved?
Although Word Refill Day is only observed once a year, the fight against plastic is everlasting. You, too, can get involved in the Refill movement by making small changes in your life.
Here’s how you can reduce the use of plastic and make the world a cleaner and better place.
- Don’t use single-use plastics, such as cutlery, straws, and plates. There are biodegradable alternatives available.
- Always take a cloth bag when you go shopping. This way, you can avoid using plastic bags.
- Chewing gums can contain plastic, so don’t spit them in the open. Be sure to throw them in the right recycling container. Or, you can try organic chewing gums that don’t contain plastic.
- Tupperware containers are a part of people’s daily lives, especially those who eat at work. Not only is it harmful to the environment, but it can also release harmful substances in your food. You can protect both yourself and the environment by replacing them with glass or steel containers.
- While reducing your plastic consumption is a big step, it isn’t enough. In addition to changing your lifestyle, try to spread awareness among your friends, family, and colleagues.
World Refill Day aims to increase awareness about how plastic impacts the planet and why it’s critical to reduce its consumption. On this World Refill Day, why don’t you join the initiative by eliminating single-use plastic from your life?